Original code copyright (C) 2009-2022 Rudolf Cardinal (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This file is part of cardinal_pythonlib.
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
Library functions to launch jobs under the Slurm workload manager.
RNC: SLURM job launcher.
- You can’t use environment variables in
sbatchstops looking at the first non-comment line that is not an
#SBATCHline (and the rest goes to the job’s shell).
- We want to be able to use variable substitution in places, and no substitution in others (for later substitution).
- The HPHI has Python 3.4.2 (as of 2018-02-17) so no Python 3.5 stuff without
installing a newer Python and
venv(but let’s do that).
To find out what you have available in terms of partitions, clusters, etc.:
$ sinfo # summarizes partitions, nodes # NB: default partition has "*" appended $ scontrol show node <NODENAME> # details of one node $ sacctmgr show qos # show Quality of Service options $ squeue -u <USERNAME> --sort=+i # show my running jobs
launch_cambridge_hphi(jobname: str, cmd: str, memory_mb: int, qos: str, email: str, duration: datetime.timedelta, cpus_per_task: int, project: str = 'hphi', tasks_per_node: int = 1, partition: str = 'wbic-cs', modules: List[str] = None, directory: str = '/home/docs/checkouts/readthedocs.org/user_builds/cardinalpythonlib/checkouts/latest/docs/source', encoding: str = 'ascii') → None¶
launch_slurm()(q.v.) with defaults for the University of Cambridge WBIC HPHI.
launch_slurm(jobname: str, cmd: str, memory_mb: int, project: str, qos: str, email: str, duration: datetime.timedelta, tasks_per_node: int, cpus_per_task: int, partition: str = '', modules: List[str] = None, directory: str = '/home/docs/checkouts/readthedocs.org/user_builds/cardinalpythonlib/checkouts/latest/docs/source', encoding: str = 'ascii') → None¶
Launch a job into the SLURM environment.
- jobname – name of the job
- cmd – command to be executed
- memory_mb – maximum memory requirement per process (Mb)
- project – project name
- qos – quality-of-service name
- email – user’s e-mail address
- duration – maximum duration per job
- tasks_per_node – tasks per (cluster) node
- cpus_per_task – CPUs per task
- partition – cluster partition name
- modules – SLURM modules to load
- directory – directory to change to
- encoding – encoding to apply to launch script as sent to